WINCHESTER & WARDENSVILLE RAILROAD
Did you know that Wardensville used to have two railroads?
On May 25, 1921 the Lost River Lumber Company officially completed the Winchester and Wardensville Railroad (also known as the Weak and the Weary). The railroad stretched about 40 miles in length between the two major towns.
The Winchester & Wardensville was a bustling freight line with limited passenger service. The first passenger car on the rail was really a railbus that made two round trips daily to Winchester with seventeen stops in between. The most popular spot was at Capon Springs Station (where Capon Springs Resort still stands). During its heyday there were three railbuses running daily bringing tourists from Winchester for scenic tours of the Capon Springs Resort and Cacapon and Lost River. It is rumored that the Wardensville station was one of the classier stations on the route.
The Lost River Railroad also was located in Wardensville and began where the Winchester & Western ended allowing the Winchester Lumber Co to go deeper into WV. The Lost River Railroad was a narrow gauge railroad line that was used to haul rough sawn lumber to Wardensville for transfer to the Gore, VA flooring plant or sawmill for processing into flooring and finished lumber to railroad ties and bridge supports.
When the extension to Wardensville was abandoned it was renamed the Winchester and Western. The Winchester and Western still exists and runs west from Winchester to silica deposits on Route 50.