WARDENSVILLE TOWN JAIL

To the right of 164 W Main St,

Wardensville, WV 26851

The Wardensville Town Jail was built shortly after the War of 1812 and served many purposes including as a blacksmith shop during the Civil War.  In the early 1930’s the town reinforced the walls and installed bars so the building could be used as a jail for local lawbreakers, most arrested for public drunkenness.  There was only one known jailbreak, but most of the “guests” did not need to breakout, since there is a large window opening in the front where family members and friends would bring bottles of liquor and food while awaiting release.